Friday, December 8, 2006

"No I am not going to wear that."

Who has pictures of clothes on their computer anyhow? Steph apparently, using me as a little project, like a paper doll or something. Well here's what I knew about women's clothes before today:

-They wear skirts sometimes
-The buttons are the wrong way around on their shirts for some reason
-They have bras
-Their shoes don't look particularly comfortable.

And now? well I probably didn't retain it, but there was a whole bunch of stuff about fabrics and colours and styles I could potentially be investigating. I guess it's sort of cheating the project if I dress as the über-tomboy. So I have to just sit there and be patient. If Steph dresses me and Trish does my make-up, those are two less things that I have to worry about.

Mary delivered me the item today. I've called it a necklace, but Trish, jewellery aficianado she is, told me it was more of a pendant or a medallion, and not something you'd see someone wear in this day and age. It looks like a cheap piece of tin. costume jewellery. I held it, in a plastic bag, ran my fingers over its edges. Something may have been engraved on it at one point, but it's long worn off. It just has a bunch of scratches and a blurred design. I felt it, and I wondered if I was being taken for a joke, and why I was entrusting my dignity to this shitty (hey look, I swore again) piece of metal.

Mary gave me a rundown on the medallion. When you wear it, it transforms you, apparently sensing nearby items, or people. So to control it, I'll have to isolate myself with items of clothing that have never been worn before in order to initiate the transformation into someone who would be the size of those clothes. If the clothes had already been worn, I'd become the last person who wore them. So I guess we'll be able to "design" my new body around that. I guess I'm supposed to keep it on while I'm being transformed, or I'll stop transforming right then and there. I don't know how my mind could be altered, and I'm not a fan of the notion that it might. Mary says she doesn't know if or how it works, and she brought up the point that for all she knows, the whole thing is an elaborate practical joke. But she seemed convinced, and being a journalist for the last 15 or so years she seems to have a keen sense of skepticism.

The reason it's important that I make sure the transformation is complete is that you can only transform once ever 12 hours or so, because I guess your body just can't handle any more than that. Really that makes sense. It's a lot to ask your body to "magically" (or at least using some unknown science) transform into someone else's, it must be exhausting. So I think I'll do it not long before bed.

And that's that. My curiousity kind of wants me to open the bag right now, but for organization's sake I should probably just wait until Sunday, like I planned.

But damn it's tempting...

-Alex

No comments: